A Florida Senate rules committee is meeting to consider a bill that will allow the lawmakers to secretly privatize programs and services, and in this case it privatizing prisons and what the Florida AFL-CIO equates to union busting:
The Florida Legislature is back at its’ old games and putting you and your family’s safety at risk. Two bills, SB 7170 and SB 7172, are being rushed through by Governor Rick Scott and the Legislative leadership in an attempt to silence Floridians’ right to participate in Democracy.
These bills will:
- Eliminate thousands of jobs
- Risk public safety by turning over prison security to the lowest bidder
- Eliminate accountability for prison administration
SB 7170 will:
- Allow the Legislature to privatize any state service with no substantive review
- Eliminate any transparency from the process, allowing Legislative leaders to auction off Florida with no deliberation, cost benefit analysis or public input
The big out-of-state special interests who are pushing these bills gave huge campaign contributions to politicians and their allies in Tallahassee. This is a clear attempt by the Legislature to return the favor by putting your family’s safety at risk so private contractors can make huge profits off of your tax dollars.
The bill essentially means that an agency would not have to report its privatization of a program or service until after the contract is signed.